Things I've Missed

I would have been in my junior high school's robot team,
if I had not stopped coming after the first day of meeting just because I was the only girl who joined.

I would have been playing for Alligators--the Surabaya's softball team,
if I had not stopped practicing after three months full of sweat just because I was told that I threw and hit like a girl.

I would have been joining the swimming team,
if I had not quit practicing just because someone told me that my shoulder's too broad for a girl.

I would have been running for marathons,
if I had not stopped running just because my friends told me that I ran weirdly, as in too weird for a girl.

But now I realize

I should had not stop coming just because I was the only girl, 
I should had be proud of it, as the only girl in the room.

I should had not stop practicing just because I was told that I wasn't "boy" enough, 
yes I hit like a girl, yes I can break your nose.

I should had not quit practicing just because my shoulder shaped differently than the other girls, 
at least I can save people from drowning in the future.

I should had not stop running just because I ran weirdly,
but also faster than the rest of you.

I would do lot of things today,
if only I didn't hear all of those crappy talks, if only I was brave enough to do what I wanted to,
regardless my gender.

From now on until whenever, regardless my gender or how I'll be the only girl in the room, I'll do whatever I want.
Because it's not only about me, it's also about equality, about humanity.

From now on until whenever, I believe that everything that I've done or that I'm doing or that I do is something that will help me and the other girls for also be seen as human, as the growth factor of the world.

And yes, #LikeAGirl is trending now.
And I'm proud.

Comments